Gambar halaman

and the following year located in Allegheny City. He joined the Institute in 1865 and early in the following year was obliged to give up practice on account of his failing health. He died in his native place July 7, 1866.

WASHINGTON HOPPIN, M.D. Was born in Providence, R. I., January 2, 1827. He was educated at the College Street Classical School in that city, where he was fitted for college. He entered Brown University in 1813, but on account of ill health left the Institution for a time. He joined it again with the class of 1844 but was finally compelled to leave before his graduation. He then entered the office of Dr. A. H. Okie as a student of medicine. Dr. Okie had just come from Philadelphia and had begun his remarkably successful career as a Homeopathic physician. Dr. Hoppin was his first regular student, and derived great benefit from his experience. Leaving the office he went to New York and attended a course of lectures at the College of Physicians and Surgeons in that city. Afterward he attended the Homeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania, where he graduated in 1850. Returning to his native city, he began practice, forming a partnership with Dr. Ira Barrows and later with his brother, Dr. Courtland Hoppin. In his early manhood, Dr. Hoppin. had purpura hæmorrhagica, from which he never entirely recovered. This complicated with grave kidney difficulties, gradually undermined. an unusually fine and robust constitution.

He joined the Institute in 1850, at as early a period as he could.. He married Miss Louise Clare, daughter of Major John Rogers. Vinton, U. S. A., October 14, 1852. He died April 1, 1867, a widow and five children.

FREEMAN HORTON, M.D. Joined the Institute in 1856 while practicing at Weare, N. H. In 1858 he removed to Lynn, Mass., where he died, March 3, 1861, aged 45 years.

ERASTUS HUMPHREYS, M.D. Was born in Canton, Conn., in 1784. He studied medicine with Dr. Solomon Everest and received his diploma from the State Medi

cal Society of Connecticut, at Hartford, in 1808. After practicing with Dr. Everest about two years, he removed to Marcellus, Onondaga County, N. Y., where he remained till 1823, when he went to Auburn, N. Y. In 1840 Dr. Horatio Robinson went to Auburn with a case of Homeopathic medicines, consisting of eleven vials about the diameter of a goose quill and one and one-half inches in length, with a copy of Dr. Epps' Domestic Homeopathy (London edition, 24mo., pp. 260). [Dr. Leverett Bishop, from whose sketch these facts are taken, is particular in giving an exact inventory as showing how large a business was done on a small capital.] Dr. Humphreys was not convinced of the merits of Homeopathy by what Dr. Robinson bad heard and seen, and the matter was dismissed. A short time afterwards Dr. Humphreys was called away on urgent business, and Dr. Robinson, being left with his practice, called in the aid of Dr. Biegler, then practicing in Albany, and when Dr. Humphreys returned, it was to find his old patients much improved and his office crowded with new ones. He adopted the practice of Homeopathy and introduced it into the Auburn State Prison, of which he was then surgeon, and his report to the State Prison Inspector served to call public attention to the new system. Dr. Humphreys went to Syracuse in 1842, and practiced with Dr. H. Hull Cator. In 1843–4 he removed to Utica, and in 1847 went to New York, where he endeavored to establish a Homeopathic hospital. He was prostrated by a sunstroke, from which he never recovered, and died March 14, 1848. He joined the Institute in 1814, being one of the original members.

WILLIAM AUGUSTUS JONES, M.D. Was a student at the Homeopathic College at Cleveland, from New Hampshire, during the sessions of 1852–3 and 1853–4, graduating in 1854. He began to practice Homeopathy in Wilton, N. H., whence he removed to Lyndborough in 1857. He joined the Institute in 1867 at the session in New York, though his name does not appear in the list of members till 1867. He died DecemLer 18, 1880.

THEODORE S. KEITH, M.D. Was born in East Bridgewater, Mass., Feb. 3, 1838. He graduated at Harvard Medical College, was appointed a Medical Cadet,

U. S. A., in 1862 and stationed at Alexandria, Va. In January, 1863, he was appointed Acting Assistant Surgeon, U. S. Navy, and assigned to duty on steamer “E. B. Hale.” After five years' service on several vessels, he received an honorable discharge, at his own request, in January, 1868, and, after a year of study, settled in Newton, Mass., and began the practice of Homeopathy. He joined the Institute in 1869. He died at Newton, Sept. 13, 1889. He was unmarried.


Among the early friends of Dr. Hans Birch Gram, one of the coterie that met regularly at his house for instruction in the new system of medical practice, was Dr. Kirby. Dr. Kirby was well known to the Homøopathic profession of a generation ago as the editor of the American Journal of Homceopathy, which was the principal periodical of our school for almost a decade, beginning in 1818.

A member of the “ Conventiun of the Practitioners of Homeopathy,” held in New York, April 10, 1844, when it was deemed expedient to establish a society entitled “The American Institute of Homeopathy,” he was elected the first treasurer of this organization. At the third session, held in Philadelphia in 1846, hetwas elected presiding officer while continuing in the office of treasurer, which he did for ten years. At the session held in Baltimore in 1852 he delivered the annual address. He was a member of the New York Homeopathic Physicians' Society, and one of the seceders who organized the Homoeopathic Society of New York and branch of the American Institute of Homeopathy. He was one of the founders of the Hahnemann Academy of Medicine, and was elected President in 1851. He delivered his inaugural address on “ Who are the Homeopathists, and what is their duty ?” He was one of the founders of the New York County Homeopathic Society, and elected to the presidency thereof in 1863, his address being on "The Introduction and Progress of Homeopathy in the United States.” Associated with Drs. P. P. Wells and Jas. M. Quin, he opened the first Homeopathic dispensary in the United States, in October, 1845. He was a member of the Faculty of the New York Homeopathic College for several years from its organization,

and was Professor of Materia Medica in the New York Medical College for Women.

Dr. Kirby was born at Middle Patent, town of Bedford, Westchester County, N. Y., May 21, 1801. He came to New York at the age of fifteen or sixteen, and later on taught school. He was Principal of Public School No. 7 when it was opened in Chrystie Street, in 1827. Shortly after he began the study of medicine. He was interested in the temperance cause and President of the New York Society; he was a member of the New York Volunteer Fire Department and an active member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He died in New York, March 6, 1876.



Was born in West Bethlehem, Washington County, Pa., April 26, 1851. He became a resident of Illinois about 1875. He graduated from the Chicago University, and attended medical lectures at the Hahnemann Medical College of Chicago, whence he graduated in 1878. He was a member of the Faculty of his Alma Mater from 1879 till his death. The estimation that he was held in is seen by this action of the college. He joined the Institute in 1889. He died at Chicago, May 21, 1892.

ALEXIS LEON, M.D. Was born in Philadelphia in April, 1815. He graduated at the Jefferson Medical College, and, after practicing a few years in Philadelphia, removed to New Orleans, where he remained twelve years in very successful practice. He came to New York for the benefit of his health, and, getting better, was induced to make that city his home. He was one of the early members of the Institute, becoming such in 1846. He died Sept. 2, 1866.


Was born in England about the year 1818. Most of his life was spent in the United States. He was a Baptist minister till his graduation at the Homeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania, in 1861, when he began the practice of medicine at Frankford, Pa. He joined the Institute in 1871. He died April 13, 1883.

[ocr errors]

JOHN MERRILL, M.D. Was born in Conway, N. H., in 1782, attended Phillips' Exeter Academy, graduated from Harvard in 1801, studied medicine with Dr. John Warren, and obtained his degree as doctor in medicine from Harvard. He settled in Portland, Me., in 1807, and here he began the practice of Homeopathy in 1841. The success of Dr. Sandicky, who spent some time here in 1840, led Dr. Merrill to investigate the system he practiced, which resulted in his adopting it. He was one of the founders of the Institute, his name appearing in the records of the first session, 1844, as a member of the Board of Censors. He died at Portland, June 7, 1855.


The son of Eliab and Nancy Benton Metcalf was born in the city of New York, October 28, 1815. He was a graduate of the Medical Department of the University of New York, in 1849. In February, 1851, the first number of the North American Homeopathic Journal was published under the editorial charge of Drs. Constantine Hering, Erastus E. Marcy and James W. Metcalf. The “Preface” was contributed by Dr. Marcy, the first article was written by Dr. Metcalf, a “Bibliographical History of Homeopathy in the United States of America," with critical remarks, comprising forty pages; the third article being on “Daily Cycles in Diseases and in the Effects of Drugs,” by Dr. Hering. In the second volume, Dr. Metcalf published an article on the preservation of vegetable juices by combining the expressed juice with milk-sugar instead of mixing with alcohol, a method recently rediscovered by some of the pharmacists. The last number of the Journal appeared November, 1855, but was issued under a slightly changed title in August, 1856, under the care of Drs. Marcy, Peters, Holcombe and Preston. The “ Homeopathic Provings,” originally published as an appendix to the Journal, were edited by Dr. Metcalf and published in a volume by themselves by Radde in 1853. Dr. Metcalf joined the Institute in 1851. He had had an attack of cholera in 1819 which increased other troubles that he had, so that he was obliged to relinquish practice early in the fifties, and he removed to Westfield, Mass., where he died April 14, 1856. He married Maria C., daughter of Judge Samuel R. Betts, July 12, 1842.

« SebelumnyaLanjutkan »