STATE OF NEW-HAMPSHIRE:
In the Year of our Lord One Thousand Eight Hundred and Forty-Nine.
AN ACT TO ESTABLISH THE CITY OF PORTSMOUTH.
SECTION 1. Portsmouth made a city.
2. Government of city, in whom vested.
3. City divided into three wards.
4. Wards to be towns for certain purposes.
5. Ward officers, powers and duties of.
6. Annual meeting for choice of city and ward officers.
7. Choice of aldermen and common council.
8. Choice of mayor.
9. Adjournment of annual meeting.
10. Mayor, aldermen, and common council to be sworn.
11. Mayor to be chief executive officer - his powers and duties.
12. Mayor anı aldermen to compuse one board.
13. Executive powers, in whom vested.
14. Common council, powers and duties of.
15. Powers vested in city council.
16. City marshal, powers and duties of.
17. Police court, powers and duties of justice of.
18. Police court to be holden weekly, or oftener.
19. City council to make by-laws.
20. City council, powers and duties of.
21. City council to construct drains, &c.
22. City couucil to appoint officers and prescribe their duties.
23. City council to elect a city clerk, powers and duties of.
24. Common council to elect city treasurer.
25. Choice of overseers of the poor and assessors.
26. Meetings to be held in wards.
27. Acts inconsistent with this act repealed.
28. Meeting for adopting this act.
29. Time of meeting for first election of city officers.
Section 1. Be it enacted by the Senate and House of hep-
resentatives in General Court convened, That the inhabi.
tants of the town of Portsinouth, in the County of Rock-
ingham, shall continue to be a body corporate and politic,
under the name of the City of Portsmouth; and as such,
shall have, exercise and enjoy all the rights, immunities,
powers and privileges, and shall be subject to all the duties
and obligations now incumbent upon and appertaining to
said town, as a municipal corporation.