Gambar halaman
[blocks in formation]

Memorial Notices of Deceased Members.


Was the son of Dr. Peter C. Adams. He was born in Coxsackie, N. Y., July 6, 1787. He studied medicine with his father ; admitted to practice in his twenty-first year; appointed surgeon in the army during the war of 1812 and stationed at Sackett's Harbor, where he remained in practice until 1848, when he removed to Albany. He had adopted the Homeopathic practice prior to settling in Albany. In 1850 he removed to Cohoes, N. Y., where he died, on his seventieth birthday, July 6, 1857. A sketch of his life, published in the TRANSACTIONS for 1876 (vol. 2, page 460) gives the above data.

Dr. Adams's name is published in the list of members of the Institute, in 1845, as living at Coxsackie; in 1852, at Glen's Falls, the following year at Cohoes. In the list of 1858, the name is preceded by an asterisk, signifying deceased, and it also appears among the “deceased members,” in 1867 (page 156) withont any date.


Was the son of Stephen Allen, a prominent merchant, and former mayor of New York. Dr. Allen graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, in 1844, and joined the Institute in 1848. He was known as a prominent practitioner, and was one of the founders of the first homoeopathic dispensary. He died in August, 1858, leaving a widow, since deceased, and a daughter.


The only child of Sewell and Jennie Alvord, was born at West Springfield, Mass., February 5,1812. He obtained a good academic education by earning money as a school-teacher himself, which he continued till nearly thirty years of age—the last twelve as Principal of the Chicopee Falls High School. He then took up the study of medicine, and attended lectures at the Berkshire Medical College, at Pittsfield. Through his acquaintance with Dr. George W. Swazey, he took up the practice of Homeopathy, and was the pioneer of our school at Chicopee Falls, where he had made his home. He attended lectures at the New York Homeopathic College, and graduated from it in 1866. In 1868 he joined the Institute. He died at his home, February 5, 1892. During his teaching days he married Miss Mary Wood, who survives him. He left no children.


The son of William C. and Phæbe Annin, was born at Liberty Corner, N. J., November 26, 1806. Of his early life and attendance at school but little is known. He attended lectures at the College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, but the time and place of graduation is unknown. He practiced in Irvington, N. J., at first, and afterward at Newark. After thirty years of Old-School practice, he abandoned it for the Homeopathic. He was a veteran of the Institute, having joined in 1846. He married, in 1840, Eleanor, the eldest daughter of Benjamin Mead, by whom he had two daughters and one son. He died September 26, 1883.


Was born May 18, 1826. He graduated at the Homeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1852. He joined the Institute in 1858. In the spring of 1860 he was elected to the chair of Obstetrics in the Homeopathic College in Philadelphia, but withdrew from the Faculty without delivering a lecture owing to personal differences. He was afterwards connected with the Hahnemann Medical College as Curator. He was a member of the Pennsylvania State Homeopathic Society, the Philadelphia County Society, and one of the founders of the Children's Homeopathic Hospital. He died of Bright's disease, February 17, 1883.


Studied with Dr. Samuel Gregg, of Boston, and in 1840 settled in Francistown, N. H., being the first practitioner of Homeopathy in that State. He remained here till 1844, when he removed to Nashua. Failing health obliged him to change his residence, and he went to Concord, Mass., where he remained but a short time, and then joined his nephew, Dr. A. H. Atwood, at Manchester, N. H. After practicing here two years, he removed to New Boston, where he died, April 28, 1850. His name is published in the list of members of the Institute, in 1846, as living at Francistown, but he does not appear to have taken an active part in the proceedings. In the list of members for 1850 his name is printed as at Francistown, though preceded by an asterisk, signifying deceased.


The son of Daniel Peck and Mary Armitage Bacon, was born in the city of New York (on the corner of Vesey and Church streets), May 14, 1838. His father was a school teacher, and by him Charles was fitted to enter Columbia College, where he graduated in 1856. He studied medicine with Dr. John F. Gray, and Dr. S. R. Percy, and obtained his medical degreee at the New York Medical College and Charity Hospital, March, 1863.

He served one year on the staff of the Brooklyn City Hospital, and in 1864 began practice in the city of New York, acquiring experience by four years' attendance at the New York Homeopathic Dispensary. When the New York Ophthalmic Hospital was placed under the care of Homeopathic physicians, Dr. Bacon was among the first to be put on the board of attending surgeons. He spent three years, 1872 to 1875, studying in London, Berlin, and Vienna. On bis return in the fall of 1875, he was appointed house physician at the Charity Hospital on Ward's Island, which had just been turned over from the old to the new school of practice. His hospital experience was of great value in organizing this first large and wellappointed hospital that had been taken charge of by our school. He was also a member of the medical board of the Hahnemann Hospital, as well as other charitable institutions.

He was Professor of Physiology and Histology for several years


in the New York Homøopathic College. In April, 1878, he made a member of the State Board of Medical Examiners by the Regents of the State University. He was a member of the New York State and County societies, in which he took active part, being Vice-President of the latter organization in 1885. He was an assistant surgeon in the army. He became a member of the Institute in 1871. After practicing twenty-three years in New York, he removed to the city of Washington in 1885 or 1886, where he continued in practice till within two years of his death, which occurred in Florida, January 9, 1892. His wife, who died two years before him, was a daughter of Professor Reed, of the University of Missouri. Two children survive him, a daughter of fourteen and a son of ten years.


Was born in Loudon, N. H., October 12, 1814. He was married in 1844 to Mary Green Critchett. Before his marriage he taught school, and was noted for his remarkable memory, and had the reputation of being an excellent Latin and Greek scholar. After his marriage, he studied medicine with his brother-in-law, Dr. Alpheus Morrill, of Concord, N. H., and graduated at the Homeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1856. After practising a short time in Concord, he removed to Keene, where he was succeeded by his nephew, Dr. William B. Chamberlain, whence he removed to Middleboro, Mass., taking the practice of Dr. E. C. Knight. Here he remained till his death, February 23, 1865, the result of bloodpoisoning from attending a small-pox patient. He joined the Institute in 1858. He left a widow, Dr. Mary G. Baker, the subject of the following sketch, and one daughter who subsequently became the wife of Dr. Edgar A. Fisher, of Worcester, Mass.


Was born in Epsom, N. H., July 1, 1824. She was the daughter of Thomas and Sally Green Critchett. After her marriage with Joseph. C. Baker, mentioned above, and while residing at Middleboro, she began the study of medicine, and graduated from the New England Medical College. After the death of her husband she

« SebelumnyaLanjutkan »