Gambar halaman

Lyman Beecher, his pastor, and the Rev. Mr. Bogart, of Southampton. On the both of October, 1805, he was licensed to preach by the Presbytery of Long Island. As a licentiate he supplied the pulpit in Fishkill for five months in 1806. In June he began his labors at Southold, where he was ordained and installed as pastor the 20th of August, 1807. His subsequent labors have already been stated, except that he frequently supplied this pulpit after the close of his continued services in 1832. As for instance in 1834, when he preached for a month. Again in 1837 for a like period. Again in 1842, when he supplied for two months, and in 1843, when he ordained two of the members as elders in this church. During them all his home continued at Southold, where he died December 30th, 1850. Thirty persons united with this church during his ministry, most of them being the gracious fruits of a mighty revival that occurred during the last part of 1831 and the early part of 1832. During that revival they held seasons of services called “four days' meetings,” when various members of the Presbytery would be present to assist the preacher in his revival efforts. In all one hundred and thirty-two persons had by this date united with the church since its organization in 1808. The next person to unite with this Society was Mr. John Bowers, who joined by letter Oct. 1oth, 1833. He afterwards felt himself called to the gospel ministry, and in time became a Congregational pastor, being ordained at Wilbraham, Mass., on May 11, 1856. He supplied the pulpit at Agawam Falls for one year. After this he was called to St. Johnsbury, Vt., where he was installed as pastor over the Third Congregational Church Feb. 4th, 1858, and continued to reside there until his death, just five years later, on Feb. 4th, 1863.

Mr. Huntting was succeeded by the Rev. Daniel M. Lord, already known to this people, having taught school here during the winter of 1827-8, and at the same time supplying their pulpit and taking charge of the weekly prayer meeting. “That winter,” says Mr. Lord in his historical discourse, "was memorable for two events, (1) for the burning of the school-house, with the loss of all the schoolbooks, and (2) for a revival of religion, during which some fifteen or eighteen indulged the hope in the mercy of God. It was a work characterized by deep solemnity and pungent convictions for sin." At this time, as we have seen, Mr. Lord was a sophomore in Amherst College, with his eye set on the ministry. Upon completing his college course he entered Princeton Theological Seminary, where he pursued the study of theology for over two years. At a special meeting of the church, held Nov. 28th, 1832, the trustees were directed “to hire Mr. Daniel Lord to preach for us until the third Tuesday in June next, and that they allow Mr. Lord at the rate of four hundred Dollars a Year."

In his historical discourse Mr. Lord says: "In the fall of 1833, having been licensed to preach by the second Presbytery of Long Island, I visited this island and preached my first sermon in the schoolhouse, the church being closed while undergoing repairs. Mr. Huntting having declined to remove to this place, the good people, under the influence of that sermon, passing over all my early imperfections, and unmindful of the proverb that a prophet is not without honor save in his own country, gave me a unanimous invitation to preach to them for six months.” During the winter and spring of that ministry the word was accompanied by the mighty power of God. The Lord revived his work. The church was quickened and sinners were saved. Of the fruits of this precious refreshing from the presence of the Lord twelve were gathered into the church at one communion season, among them being the last of the aborigines, upon whose remarkable conversion we have dwelt in a previous chapter. At the close of the six months he was cordially invited to preach to the people for a period of three years, a longer period than had yet been named in engaging the services of previous clergymen.

I am inclined to believe that the date of Mr. Lord's return to this people should be 1832 instead of 1833, and that for the following reasons. Mr. Huntting retired from the relation of stated supply to this people in the fall of 1832. In November of that year Mr. Lord was invited to preach "until the third Tuesday in June next.” The following October, or to be precise, on Oct. 14th, 1833, at a special meeting of the parish the trustees were "authorized to hire Mr. Daniel Lord to preach for us three years, and to allow Mr. Lord the income of our stock.” The same day the trustees held a meeting and “directed their Treasurer to settle with Mr. Lord and pay him what is due. Also to hire Mr. Lord for three years according to the Vote of the Society.” What, however, confirms 1832 as the true date is this reference in Mr. Lord's own discourse, namely: "It was during my brief ministry that the session passed the following vote: ‘Aug. 24, 1833, That it be required of members of this church to abstain from making use of ardent spirits as a beverage and to make the violation of this rule a matter of discipline.'”

Mr. Lord did not serve the three years period as invited to do by the parish in its meeting of Oct. 14, 1833, but continued only till the following May, 1834. In April of that year, after a searching examination in theology, experimental religion, philosophy, the sacred languages, polity of the church, etc., by Presbytery, then in session at Southampton, which he passed to the great credit of himself and the commendation of this court of our church, he was ordained April 16, 1834, to the exercise of all the rights of the gospel ministry as an evangelist. As Mr. Lord returned again to this charge after an absence of about fourteen years, we shall have occasion to speak of him again. Previous to his going away in 1834 his successor, the Rev. Randolph Campbell, at the time a member of the Theological Seminary at Princeton, was introduced to the people of this church and congregation. The introduction was mutually agreeable, and resulted in the following action by the church in its annual meeting held June 17, 1834, "Voted that the Trustees be authorized to hire Mr. Randolph Campbell two Years and alow him the use of the parsonage and four hundred dollars in money a Year to preach for us.” “According to a Vote of Parish the Trustees hired Mr. Randolph Campbell to preach for us two Years beginning Last Sabbath in September, 1834.” Mr. Campbell responded and continued to labor here until September, 1837, a period of three years. He proved to be an able minister of the New Testament. His ministry to this church was greatly blessed and owned of God in the conversion of many souls. Several revivals visited this people. On the 17th of January, 1836, twenty-five persons were received into church fellowship. These were followed by a number of others on two successive communion services. Many among us to-day remember Mr. Campbell with tenderest memories. The two oldest members of our church in point of connection, Mrs. Glorian (Cartwright) Preston and Mrs. Frances H. (Chester) Jennings, joined the church during Mr. Campbell's ministry, on Jan. 17, 1836, now over sixtytwo years ago. Rev. Mr. Harries speaks of Mr. Campbell as being “modelled after the Scotch type of the Puritan character, a good scholar, an ardent Christian, rigidly adhering to the rule of duty prescribed in the Word of God, and a very able defender and expounder of its principles. He won and carried with him the hearts of his people, and even at this remote period his name is often mentioned with respect and love."

Shortly after his arrival in this place he married a lady from New Jersey. She, however, lived but a few months after their union, being stricken with death while in New York City in September, 1835, at the early age of twenty-five. He married a second and a third time, and at his death left several children.

Mr. Campbell was born at Piscataway, N. J., Dec. 31, 1809; graduated from Princeton College, now University, in 1829. He then became a tutor for three years, after which he entered Princeton Theological Seminary, from 1832 to 1834. Upon leaving the seminary he began his labors here. Like his immediate predecessor and fellow student at the seminary, he was ordained an evangelist by the Presbytery of Long Island April 30th, 1835, during his labors in this place.

He was called from this church to the church at Newburyport, Mass., the church which is noted all over the world as the final resting place of the remains of the great evangelist, the Rev. George Whitfield, these being deposited beneath the pulpit, where they have now reposed in the tranquil sleep of death for more than a hundred years. Mr. Campbell continued as pastor of that famous church for forty years, until 1877; then he went West to Nebraska for a short period, returning again to Massachusetts, in which State he continued to live until his death, which took place in Rowley, Mass., Aug. 9, 1886, at the age of seventy-six years.

Mr. Campbell was succeeded by the Rev. William Ingmire, who was unanimously invited to settle here as preacher of the gospel with the promise of four hundred and fifty dollars per annum and use of parsonage as payment for his services, this action being taken at a special meeting on July 15, 1838. Who had preached here during the nine months previous to this date, since the time of Mr. Campbell's departure, we cannot tell. That there were those who supplied during the months the records clearly imply. Mr. Ingmire continued to labor here for three years, but not with very encouraging results. His services were attended with more or less trial. It was a time of great financial depression, and the community felt it. Further, Mr. Ingmire was the successor of a brilliant man, and suffered by the comparison. During this time the funds of the church were in jeopardy. No interest was received, and the means of the church greatly crippled. “The commercial embarrassment of 1836-7 had well nigh dissipated the whole of the large sum given to the church by the late Mr. Conkling. At this distance of time, however," continues Mr. Lord, "we can readily perceive that God in his providence ordered that loss in great mercy to this people, for enough of these funds were saved to answer the purpose of the benevolent donor to secure the object he had in view, viz., the giving of the gospel to this church and congregation. Left without a minister and destitute in a measure of the means for the support of the gospel, the church was cast down but not destroyed.” Its spiritual life was also very low, only two persons uniting with the church during the three years of Mr. Ingmire's ministry, which came to a close the second day of July, 1841. Again the parish sought the services of "the Rev. Jonathan Huntting to supply us with preaching occasionally, for which they (the trustees) was to pay him as they could get funds, allowing him 5 Dollars per Day and pay his ferryges.” This was on July 11th, 1841.

In 1842 the Rev. Anson Sheldon supplied the pulpit for five Sundays in June and July. His services were so acceptable to the people that on August 1st, 1842, he was unanimously invited to labor among them for one year at a salary of $400 and the parsonage. He accepted the call for his services and continued to labor here until June, 1847, a period of five years. The church once more took on new life. The things ready to die were measurably strengthened, and the congregation, according to Mr. Harries, was in a better condition when Mr. Sheldon left the parish than it was when he began his labors here. A number of souls were converted during his ministry, 'fifteen of whom united with the church, two of whom still continue with us, namely, Mrs. Rosina Tuthill and Mrs. Maria Beebe. With these there were two young ladies who were sisters that united by letter. They were Mary L’H. and Phebe D. Gardiner, daughters of Samuel S. Gardiner and Catherine L'Hommedieu, and descendants of Nathaniel Sylvester, the original settler and last sole proprietor of Shelter Island. These ladies lived with their parents in the manor house. Both in time and turn married the late Prof. Eben Norton Horsford, Mary L'H. in 1847 and Phebe D. in 1860, Mary having died in 1855. Mrs. Phebe D. Horsford is still living as the widow of Prof. Horsford, who passed away the Ist of January, 1893. Mary L’H. (Gardiner) Horsford proved to be a distinguished member of this church, and deserves special mention here, being an exceptional woman both in piety and talent. Her religious life was far above the average. She seemed to live in another atmosphere. Her self control and spiritual repose was won

« SebelumnyaLanjutkan »