Gambar halaman

the hospital with flying colors. He had the reputation of a thorough anatomist, and no little celebrity among his colleagues as a dextrous and promising surgeon. The Board of Trustees presented to him a case of surgical instruments, as a testimonial of their special appreciation of his services and their esteem of him as a gentleman.

Whilst residing at the hospital, at the suggestion of his friend, Professor Samuel Jackson, he carried on faithfully a series of experiments and observations similar to those instituted by the celebrated French physicians, Andrae and Guvarret, on the changes in the relative proportions of the constituents of the blood in disease. He fully informed himself of what had been done by them by carefully reading their monograph, which had been given him by Prof. Jackson, and then went to work. He first studied the normal composition and elements of the blood in health, then made analyses of blood taken from patients laboring under all kinds of disease. He separated the fibrin, red globules, etc., from the clot, and then ascertained the relative quantity of iron, salts, etc., by weight, keeping a record of the same and preparing a table with all quantities givea in decimals. He also noted the age, sex, and disease of each subject whose blood he examined. These experiments cost, him much time and labor, but the results fully repaid him, and were most favorably received and appreciated by his friend, Prof. Jackson, and when embodied in his graduating essay they were warmly received by the faculty.

This close application to work told heavily on his delicate organization, so he spent a few months in the West to recruit his health, and on returning, much benefited, he resumed his studies in Dr. Horner's office. In the fall he again took tickets for a full course of lectures. In the spring of 1844 he graduated at the University of Pennsylvania. The faculty passed a resolution of special approbation of his thesis, and delegated Dr. Henry H. Smith to wait upon him and convey to him the compliments of the faculty, with the assurance that his thesis was pronounced the best one laid before them for many years, and that he was entitled to the highest honors of the class of graduates. This was no small honor, when it is remembered that he had such men as Drs. Stillé, Keating, and J. H. B. McClellan for competitors. Shortly after graduating he returned to his home in Harrisburg, and entered upon the active duties of his profession. His health was not very robust, but he was full of life and ambition, and soon acquired considerable reputation as a surgeon and in diseases of the eye.

On the 30th of July, 1844, he was married to Miss Clara S. Reher, daughter of Col. Thomas J. Reher, who for many years was Chief Clerk of the Land Department of the State.

In the fall of 1845, at the solicitation of Prof. Horner, who thought him too talented to confine himself to so small a town as Harrisburg then was, he removed to Philadelphia. During the following winter he was engaged by Prof. Horner as his private dissector at the University, and made all the dissections for the anatomical lectures for the whole course. He also had a large class of students in his office, preparing them for their final examination. Although he was gradually working his way into a successful prac

tice, yet in compliance with the earnest wish of his father he returned to his old home the following summer.

On the declaration of war by the United States against Mexico, President Polk tendered him the appointment of Asst. Surgeon to 2d Regiment, Pa. Vols. The Doctor was very anxious to accept the position, but his friends, fearing his health and strength insutlicient to bear the necessary exposure, persuaded him to decline the honor. In January, 1847, he was elected physician to the Dauphin County Almshouse. He served one year. In the fall of 1849, much broken down physically, he visited his old preceptor, Dr. Horner, and was advised by him to take a sea voyage, for the benefit of his health. On the 3d of October, he sailed for Europe, and whilst in Paris, visited the different hospitals. During his stay there he made the acquaintance of the celebrated Surgeons Velpeau and Nélaton and had the gratification of assisting them in several surgical operations.

On his return from Europe, he resumed the practice of his profession with renewed energy, and succeeded well.

November 19th, 1853, Dr. Dock was appointed by Gov. Bigler, a member of the Board of Trustees of the State Lunatic Hospital at Harrisburg, which position he held by successive reappointments for twelve or thirteen years, and was President of the Board for four or five years. In February, 1854, he was elected a member of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. The following July, the Trustees and Faculty of Penna. College, Gettysburg, Pa., conferred on him the honorary degree of Master of Arts. March 17th, 1856, he was appointed Prof. of Surgery in the Philadelphia College of Medicine. He felt disinclined to abandon his pleasant home and growing practice and venture upon a sphere of action in which he had no experience, that is as a lecturer. He had then been just twelve years in private practice, and was but thirty-three years old, and his health rather capricious. He wrote to the Trustees and Faculty of the College declining the appointment. They wrote to him again urging him to accept, and come on immediately. He also received a letter from his friend Dr. Betton, advising him to go to Philadelphia, and consult personally with the Faculty. He did so, and the result was, that by the persuasion of many friends he accepted. His course of lectures were pronounced as most satisfactory, both by the class and the Faculty. He enjoyed teaching better than active practice, but having gone at it without due time for the preparation for his material, he was obliged to work too hard, be up late at night, reading and digesting the subject for the next day's lecture. One day in August, Dr. Betton called to see him, and finding him looking badly, urged him to spend a few days at his place in Germantown, and whilst there Dr. Betton proposed that he should practise with him and go into the city daily to lecture. He agreed to this. In October Dr. Betton went to Europe and left Dr. Dock in charge of his practice. He was well received by the Doctor's old patients, and as his time was now all occupied, he concluded to resign his professorship and locate in Germantown permanently.

The winter of 1856-7, was one of the coldest experienced for many

years, and he had not only his own practice to attend to, but many calls to meet other physicians in consultation, and the exposure and overwork completely broke down his health by spring. His lungs were severely affected, and threatened with organic disease. He found that he was unable to continue his labors and must abandon his profession for some time and perhaps forever. Dr. Betton, who was in Dresden, on being informed of Dr. Dock's condition, cut short his tour and returned home in May; Dr. Dock once more went back to Harrisburg. Thus again were his plans and prospects for a bright and successful career thwarted by his lack of physical strength, but he bore his sore disappointments with Christian fortitude. From this period until January, 1859, the Dector abstained from all professional labor, the regaining of his health being his paramount duty. Spring, summer, and autumn were spent among the grand old Mountains of Bedford, where with his gun (he was an excellent marksman) and some chosen companions, he gradually improved in health. At the time just referred to, he once more opened an office, devoting his time to surgery, diseases of the eye, and office consultation, refusing, prudentially, to attend out-door medical practice. In the year following, the death of his brotherin-law, Mr. Lewis G. Osbourn, of Philadelphia, occurred at Cairo, Egypt. At a family council it was decided that some one be immediately sent after the widow and children, and the Doctor was earnestly requested to undertake the voyage. He consented to go, and sailed from New York on the Arabia, January 29th, 1860. He met Mrs. Osbourn and family at Geneva, but as they were not ready to return, the Doctor passed over into Italy. He visited Rome, Genoa, Naples, Pompeii, and Herculaneum. After returning to Geneva, and taking Mrs. Osbourn and family in charge, he went to Paris, visiting again the great hospitals, renewing old friendships among the medical celebrities of the French capital. From Paris he went to London, and from there to Liverpool, and sailed for home on the Persia, reaching New York, June 22d, 1860.

He quietly settled down again in his office, and regained a handsome practice.

In 1861, he was Commissioned Surgeon of the 16th Regt., Pa. Vols., by Gov. Curtin, and joined his Regiment at Camp Scott, York, Pa. He had been in camp only about a week when he was summoned to Harrisburg and placed on the Staff of the SurgeonGeneral, where he served until near the close of the war as one of the Board of Medical Examiners to pass on the qualifications of candidates for the appointment of Surgeons and Assistant Surgeons of the Pennsylvania forces in the army. He was only once in the field. That was in the fall of 1862, when he was ordered by the Surgeon-General to Hagerstown with a squad of cavalry, which served as scouts under orders of Gen. McClellan, during the Antietam campaign. He was out about two weeks.

His mother died in May, 1862. Two years after (in Feb. 1864), his brother died, and on the 4th of August, 1868, his venerable father departed this life. These were severe blows to the Doctor. Shortly after the death of his father, he himself was suddenly stricken down by disease, and for some time his life was despaired of,

but he slowly recovered. In the autumn, he repaired to his old hunting grounds in Bedford County, camping out, and returned home after a few weeks with renewed vigor of body and mind, but by spring the delicate form seemed the more shattered. It was not, however, until the 10th of August, 1874, when, without the slightest premonition, he was suddenly taken with a hemorrhage from the lungs, that his sprits failed him. It was what he had long anticipated. He had already lived more years than was to be expected, with such a frail organization as his. In July, 1875, he went on a visit to Clearfield, and while there was taken ill (July 15), and kept his bed then until his death, which occurred on the 17th of August, 1875.

On Friday morning, August 20th, loving hands laid away all that was mortal of Dr. George Dock, yet in loving hearts will long be cherished the memory of his genial good nature and blameless life. His funeral took place from his late residence on Market Street, Harrisburg, and was largely attended by friends from far and near. The Dauphin County Medical Society attended in a body, as also several other organizations of which he was a member.

What a mark he would have made in the medical world had he possessed the physical strength to carry out the brilliant suggestions of his gifted and active mind. He was never idle. His time was always taken up either in some manual labor, professional pursuit, or in calm meditation, the result of which afterwards appeared. A more charitable man in thought, word, and deed never lived. He was thoughtful and considerate in the highest degree, kind, courteous to all. In him the younger members of the profession possessed one in whose kind consideration they could ever trust, and whose valuable advice was always freely given. His loss is severely felt by the profession and the whole community.


LOCALITY, hydrography, topography, and geology, previously reported; meteorology have no report; Lancaster County has no system of registering, therefore no report can be given of mortality.

During the year, our county has been free from the ravages of any severe or wide-spread epidemic. Measles, whooping-cough, scarlatina, and a few cases of puerperal peritonitis, have been reported to the society. The Lancaster City and County Medical Society is increasing in numbers and interest, and is now rising to the importance it deserves as a representative of the medical profession of the garden of Pennsylvania.

Appended, will be found papers referred to the committee on report to the State Medical Society, by note of the Society, also a list of offices and members of the Society.

B. LEAMAN, M.D., Chairman.


The subject of uterine fibroids has received marked attention from the profession of late years, and great advances have been made in their treatment and diagnosis. Some very able articles have made their appearance in the journals within the last few years, and I am very much indebted to their authors for what little knowledge I have of the subject. Having had a case of that class under treatment for several years, will, I hope, be excuse sufficient for calling your attention to the subject for a short time.

Previous History.-S. T., æt. 43; single; enjoyed good health up to twenty-six years of age, yet was never very strong but able to do housework; got very tired after heavy work; when twentytwo had pneumonia, but recovered entirely; at twenty-six her troubles commenced with what was called typhoid fever, from which she recovered slowly; was then tolerably well for a year, when she had another attack which was also said to be typhoid, had tenderness in right side, and sickness at stomach. Up to seven years ago she had several similar attacks each year almost always following

« SebelumnyaLanjutkan »