Gambar halaman
[graphic][graphic][graphic][ocr errors]

1904; was elected member of the State Legislature in 1904. The management of the fine farm at West Brookfield engrosses most of his time.


Caroline Elizabeth 'king, (Augustine,6 Lt. Eliphalet* Capt. Joseph* James,3 William1), born in Cambridge, N. Y., July 9, 1812; died in Dayton, Ohio, Sept. 7, 1876; married in Dayton. Aug. 7, 1828, Col. James Greer, of Dayton, O.


i. James Augustin7 Greer, b. Cincinnati, O., Feb. 28, 1833; d. Washington, D. C, June 17, 1904; m. Norfolk, Va., Nov. 26, 1857, Mary Randolph Webb, d. Washington, D. C, June 25, 1900. In an obituary notice of Admiral James A. Greer, the "Army and Navy Journal" of June 25, 1904, says:

"Rear Admiral James A. Greer, U. S. N., retired, died at his home, 2010 Hillyer place, Washington, D. C, June 17, in his seventy-second year. He had been in poor health, and for the past three months had been confined to his bed. Admiral Greer, who was born in Ohio Feb. 28, 1833, had a notable record of service. He was appointed midshipman Jan. 10, 1848. In 1854 he was promoted to the rank of passed midshipman, and in 1855 to that of master. He was commissioned a lieutenant in 1855, and while on board the San Jacinto in 1861 assisted in the removal of Mason and Slidell from the English mail steamer Trent. He was made a lieutenant commander in 1862, and commanded at different times the ironclads Carondelet and Benton, and a division of Rear Admiral Porter's Squadron in the Mississippi River. In the passage of Vicksburg, April 16, 1863, he fought the batteries of Grand Gulf for five hours, and in the combined attack on that city he was almost constantly under fire for 45 days. He had charge of the naval station at Mound City, Ill., in 1864, and soon after was given command of the flagship Blackhawk, which position he held until February, 1865. He was commissioned as commander in 1866, and commanded the purchased steamer Tigress when she went on the Polaris Relief Expedition, discovering the lost ship wrecked on the coast of Greenland, her crew having gone south in search of aid. Before returning south himself Commander Greer cruised for some time in northern waters, looking for the survivors and taking notes. In 1876 he was made a captain, and as such had command of the training frigate Constitution and later of the sloop Constellation. He was employed afterward in taking United States exhibits to Havre, France, for the Paris Exposition. For a time he commanded the steamer Hartford at the South Atlantic Station. He was a member of the naval board of inspection later, and president of the naval examination and retiring boards from 1885 until 1887. In 1886 he was commissioned as a commodore, and in the following year was appointed acting rear admiral. He commanded the European Squadron from 1887 to 1889. In 1889 he was president of the board of organization, tactics and drills, and was fulfilling other duties. He was commissioned a rear admiral in 1892, and after that time was again president of the naval examining and retiring boards. He was retired Feb. 28, 1895, and spent the rest of his life with his family in Washington. He was stationed at the navy yard in Washington for a number of years. The funeral took place Sunday afternoon, June 19, with military honors, and the interment was at Arlington. Rev. Dr. Alfred Harding, rector of St. Paul's Episcopal church, conducted the services. Admiral Greer leaves a daughter, Byrd Page Greer, and two sons, James W. and Edward R. Greer, all of whom live in Washington. His wife died four years ago."

The Dayton, Ohio, Journal has also very appropriately said: "The death of Rear Admiral Greer, retired, removes a noteworthy link between the old and the new in the history of the United States navy. His youthful years of service belonged to the time when there were still sloops and frigates and line-of-battle ships, when a man-of-war carried the population of a town and rows on rows of cannon. He witnessed the introduction of steamships into the navy and all the changes from the wooden vessel to the modern floating castle of steel, from broadsides of sixty-four and upwards of old smooth bore guns that were best fought at a distance of a few hundred feet to long, great steel guns that throw a shell clear over the horizon and hit an enemy hull down and almost out of sight. His life covered the whole series of changes in tactics from the day when it was of the highest importance to get the wind gauge in a contest at sea, down to the time when the important factor in maneuvering is to know the radius of a circle in which a ship can turn and in strategy to how far she can go without refilling her coal bunkers.

"Aside from the armored float, which Napoleon the Third tried in the Crimean war, Admiral Greer shared some of the earliest experiments in ironclads, those in which river steamboats were converted into gunboats with sloping covers of railroad iron. Up and down the Mississippi, up and down Red river, his name is written in the history of a kind of naval warfare almost unexampled in the experience of mankind, when fleets were built and manned to fight tremendous battles hundreds of miles from the sea, sometimes in places that led Abraham Lincoln to say that Uncle Sam's sailors were web-footed and ready to sail their vessels wherever there was a heavy dew.

"No doubt this was a very different kind of naval warfare from any that he had dreamed of when he was with the sloop-of-war St. Mary's in the Pacific, or the frigate Columbia or the Independence in the fifties long before the Civil war was feared even as a possibility. Even at the outbreak of the war, he was still a salt water sailor and shared in the historical achievement of taking Mason and Slidell from the British steamer Trent. And after the war was over and the river fleets had disappeared, he returned to the sea, none the worse from his fresh water experience. The navy has changed much so far as its ships are concerned and its guns and projectiles and powder. But it will never see the time when it will not need men like Admiral Greer."


i James Webb "greer, b. Norfolk Navy Yard, Sept.

12, 1858; d. Washington, D. C, March 21,

1907; unmarried. He was an attorney-at-law.

2 Virginia Byrd Page Greer, b. Dayton, O., June

20, 1864; unmarried. Res. Dayton, O.

3 Caroline Greer, b. May 6, 1866; d. March 14,


4 Edward Randolph Greer, b. Annapolis, Md.,

Aug. 5, 1870; m. Washington, D. C., Sept. 27, 1905, Marie Augusta Prince, ii. Caroline Elizabeth 'greer, b. Dayton, O., Nov. 16, 1840; m. Dayton, O., Nov. 29, 1861, Major General Thomas John Wood, U. S. A., b. Munfordville, Ky., Sept. 25, 1823; d. Dayton, O., Feby. 25, 1906. Gen. Wood was well known, not only because of his services in the War of the Rebellion, but as a survivor of the Mexican War, in which he served as a Lieutenant, as did Grant, Sherman, Johnston and many others who won high rank in the Civil War. Gen. Wood's chief military renown was the result of his splendid work in the War of the Rebellion as a brigade, division, and corps commander. Unlike some other general officers he declined to be invalided and leave his troops even when wounded and there are few if any who served longer in the field than he, or with more ability. His intelligent comprehension of the plans of his superiors and prompt co-operation in the necessary movements were material contributions to the success of campaigns. His personal bravery was never questioned, nor was his reputation as a soldier ever successfully assailed.

Gen. Wood was graduated from the Military academy at West Point on July 1. 1845, as a brevet second lieutenant in the topographical engineers, and was at once ordered to report for duty to Gen. Zachary Taylor whose headquarters were at Corpus Christi, Texas. The next spring Taylor marched his little army to the Rio Grande which movement provoked a declaration of war from the Mexican government. Lieut. Wood was engaged at the battles of Palo Alto, Monteray and Buena Vista and was then transferred to the cavalry service and

« SebelumnyaLanjutkan »