Gambar halaman

Saturday, Dec. 14. I get permission of Capt. Coleman to get a leave to Vichy. They are good enough to give me forty-eight hours. I get ready during the day and in the evening I take the train from Mars. I have the pleasure of riding first class.

Sunday, Dec. 15. I have a very pleasant day of it in Vichy. In the forenoon I visit with the folks at the Hotel Du Havre. In the afternoon I visit with a fellow from the 127th who has been a prisoner in Ratstatt, Germany. It is very interesting to listen to him.

Thursday, Dec. 19. Gedalge and I are asked by Miss Benedict to take care of the goods which came into the Red Cross this afternoon. We are to be detailed as Red Cross men and Miss Benedict arranges it with headquarters.

Friday, Dec. 20. We are busy today getting the Red Cross in order. Only four more days to Christmas and we are going to make it as great a one as we can. We fill six hundred stockings this evening, Base 131 getting 170 of them.

Saturday, Dec. 21. We hand out the stockings at the registrar's office as the men are checked out there. Each pair contains candy, nuts, cigarettes, matches, handkerchiefs, cookies, and figs. It is much more than the boys ever expected.

Sunday, Dec. 22. We are real busy trying to make the hut look nice and get the presents ready. Miss Lorah and Miss Miller come today to be with 107 Red Cross hut. Chaplain holds services here both morning and evening.

Tuesday, Dec. 24. We get the presents all ready by evening and after supper we carry them to the different wards and leave them in the wardmaster's office. At nine o'clock the ladies start to give them out to the boys while we carry them.

Wednesday (Christmas), Dec. 25. Christmas was a complete success. The boys are as happy as little kids over their presents. Over two thousand are given out altogether. We have doings both morning and evening.

Thursday, Friday, Saturday. We keep a few boys at work every day and the appearance of the hut is improving every day. Saturday evening the show troops from Nevers come down and put on their show. Gedalge is to be evacuated but is held over.

Sunday, Dec. 29. Gedalge and Bovington go to Nevers on pass, and I take care of the place. Miss Lorah, her friend, and I have a nice Sunday dinner. I get the meals from Frenchy and we have beaucoup steak these days.

Wednesday, Jan. 1, 1919. Stayed up until four o'clock this morning having a real New Year's celebration. Pian, English, Pangborne, Esplande, the Red Cross ladies, and Gladie and I made up the party. We had a midnight supper of pie, sandwiches, cocoa, etc.

Saturday, Jan. 4. Go to Nevers on pass and make several purchases. To finish the day I climb to the top of the cathedral. Red Cross No. 5 is fixed up now and Gladie and I decide to take it easier. The stage is fixed up just beautiful and the ladies have nice rooms and a sitting-room. Everything is painted up and Gladie and I have our own room.

Monday, Feb. 3. Gladie and I go to Nevers Monday P. M. and try to get the money that has been cabled to him by his brother. They tell us up there that we must write to the American Express Company or call there and get the money. We decide to start to Paris, so take the ten o'clock from Mars.

Tuesday, Feb. 4 (Paris). We catch the American Express out of Nevers and we don't get a seat as it is so crowded. The train gets to Paris at nine o'clock at the P. L. M. la gare. We are given two hours' leave in Paris by the M. P.'s, which seems much of a joke. But we start out by going down in a subway. An American major shows us the way and we have a nice ride in the subway. He tells us to get off at the L'Opera and the major finds us the American Express Company right away. Within an hour after arriving Gladie has his money without any trouble. We are satisfied now as we have done something which we had our doubts about. We are right in the heart of the city and cannot but admire some of the beautiful buildings about. We start back to the station and find we will stay till one-twenty P. M. We eat dinner in the Red Cross and hang around near the station until the train leaves. We take the local back and eat supper at Montsciget and arrive in Nevers at twelve o'clock. We drag into the Red Cross at eight o'clock in the morning.


Sunday Feb. 16, 1919. I complete my work at the Red Cross today as I am to be evacuated upon my own request to the U. S. I would be able to get special transportation orders from General Headquarters but they put me in charge of the men who are to be evacuated from the different hospitals. There are eighty-four in all and we leave Mars a little before noon to go to St. Aignan. Change cars at Sancaize and we reach Bourges the middle of the afternoon where we are treated by the Red Cross. We resume our journey and stop at Verizon in the evening. We reach St. Aignan in the morning about five o'clock.

Feb. 17-25. St. Aignan is a regular mud hole like all other camps in France in the winter. When I am not in charge of details I spend my time looking for places to get something more than slum to eat.

Feb. 25. Casual companies are being formed the last couple of days and a group of Wisconsin men are being formed into the Wisconsin casual company. By evening several companies are on a train of box-cars ready to start for Marseilles on their last boxcar ride in France.

Feb. 27. We arrive at Marseilles after having passed through some of the most beautiful country I ever saw.

Mar. 2. We load on the steamship Italia today.

Mar. 3. We start out on the Mediterranean Sea today and as we leave the wharf we see French and British soldiers, also German prisoners; so we are taking our last look at the soldiers of some of the greatest nations concerned in the war.

Mar. 6. We arrive at the Rock of Gibraltar today.

Mar. 20. We sight the U. S. shore at eleven A. M. and pass the Statue of Liberty at three P. M. We go to Camp Merritt from New York tonight.

Apr. 4. Discharged at Camp Grant, Rockford, Ill.




The Historical Society has recently received, from the hand of Miss Mariette Tweedy, a significant collection of letters illustrating the political career of her father, the late John H. Tweedy.

John H. Tweedy was born at Danbury, Connecticut, November 9, 1814. In 1836 he arrived at Milwaukee, fresh from the law school, and began a noteworthy career in the practice of law in partnership with Hans Crocker. In 1841 Mr. Tweedy was elected to the legislative council of the Territory of Wisconsin, serving during the session of 1841-42. He was a member of the first constitutional convention, 1846, being the only Whig elected from the Milwaukee district, which sent twelve delegates. So successful was he in impressing himself upon the convention that, despite the meagerness of Whig representation in that body, Tweedy in several instances carried his points by the sheer weight of character and of argument. In 1847 he was chosen delegate to Congress from the Territory of Wisconsin, defeating Moses M. Strong of Mineral Point. Since Wisconsin entered the Union, under a bill presented by Mr. Tweedy, in 1848, he was the last of the territorial delegates. In the election for state officers which occurred in May, 1848, the Whigs of Wisconsin nominated Mr. Tweedy for governor in his absence and against his wishes, but the Democratic majority in the state at that time was so large that notwithstanding his popularity and prestige he failed. The election resulted in the choice of Nelson Dewey of Grant County. Thereafter Mr. Tweedy held political office on only one other occasion-as a member of the legislative assembly in 1853.

His time, energies, and uncommon powers were gradually absorbed in business ventures, particularly those connected with the development of Wisconsin railroads.

There is much testimony, both in the records of his various achievements and in the tradition which comes down from the days of his activity, to indicate that Mr. Tweedy was a man of extraordinary intellectual gifts. His oratory is said to have been of a very high order; his political acumen and personal leadership brought him successes which it was generally acknowledged could not have been attained under the circumstances by any other Whig in Wisconsin; his business sagacity and rugged honesty gained him much repute in the early days of speculative ventures and "shoestring" financiering. He died November 12, 1891, in Milwaukee.

The papers which have been turned over to the Historical Society relate, with a very few exceptions, exclusively to the several periods in Mr. Tweedy's political activity. They were written to him by friends at Milwaukee when he was a member of the territorial council in 1841 and 1842, by friends, political partisans, and other constituents in all parts of Wisconsin during his service in the constitutional convention, and particularly during his service at Washington as delegate from Wisconsin. A few date from the time of his service at Madison in 1853, and only a negligible number are of other dates than the above. Among his correspondents we find such prominent Milwaukeeans as General Rufus King, editor of the Milwaukee Sentinel, Hans Crocker, his law partner, and Thomas L. Ogden, who was in some sense a business associate. To these should be added Francis Randall, J. E. Arnold, W. Chase, and W. R. Longstreet. The wider circle of political supporters who wrote to Mr. Tweedy at various times, and particularly during the Washington period, include Marshall M. Strong of Racine; William S. Hamilton of Wiota, Lafayette County, son of

« SebelumnyaLanjutkan »