Gambar halaman

enormous undertaking, for what they saw of the M. I. T. in the course of a couple of hours this forenoon made a great impression on them.

It was a distinguished group of visitors. Governor Hugh M. Dorsey of Georgia was at the head of it, and next to him in leadership was Dr. K. G. Matheson, president of the Georgia School of Technology, the trip having been arranged by that school in the interest of its own future. The party reached Boston this morning at nine o'clock, from Niagara, and was taken by automobiles to the M. I. T. for a thorough inspection of that institution. It spent two hours going from one room to another, guided by Technology men who explained the various features, and later was received by Technology officials and by Governor Coolidge in North Hall, Walker Building, where luncheon was served.

The Tech, which is the Massachusetts Technology students' publication, published a special Georgia Tech' edition in honor of the occasion. This was distributed free to the guests at the luncheon. The Tech faculty was on hand to greet them. First words of welcome were spoken by Prof. H. P. Talbot, chairman of the administrative committee, as the party filed through the first door of the first building reached. For all of them to go through the whole institution together and see everything would have been impossible, as they have only a day to spend in this city, so the party was divided. John M. De Bell, '17, took charge of one of the divisions and Harold E. Lobdell, '17, guided the other as they went through the rooms that were supposed to interest them most. Classes were at work and machinery was in operation, and some of the operations were explained by the professors in charge.

California redwood was subjected to a test for strength in one of the rooms. Blocks six by six were put into the first machine and the power turned on, increasing in pressure, and the lecturer announced at intervals the amount of pressure applied until there was one hundred and ninety-nine thousand pounds, and then the wood crumbled. Another block of the same kind of wood was placed in another testing machine and it withstood the pressure up to one hundred and ten tons. Cement blocks, it might be assumed, would show more resistance to pressure, but a block which was made at Technology in 1916 was tried and it split under a pressure of one hundred and seventy-eight thousand pounds. Tensile strength also was demonstrated. Manila rope, one and onefourth inches, was tried, machinery pulling slowly at the ends until there was an application of ninety-five thousand pounds, and then the rope snapped.

Hydraulic demonstrations, in what probably is the best hydraulic laboratory in the country, had much of interest for the visitors, and the forge room attracted special attention because Mr. Lambirth was therethe old teacher of forge craft, who was introduced as the man who helped Ericsson build the Monitor which was to sink the Merrimac.

Lambirth is still on the job, operating his machine forge on which he turns out even fancy articles, and he presented a pitchfork of his own make to Governor Dorsey, with a card of presentation in penmanship of which any teacher might be proud. Governor Dorsey carried

the three-pronged fork during the remainder of the tour of inspection. From classrooms that were interesting to rooms that proved still more interesting the party filed slowly, impressed by the size of the institution, and the completeness of its equipment. It went to the 'Wind Tunnel,' the building in which there is a large tunnel for testing airships by creating an artificial wind, and a forty-mile storm howled through the tunnel for the benefit of the visitors.

But there were even more fascinating experiences in store for the visitors, for when they reached the wireless room they were treated to music that had floated through the air from Medford, and they heard conversations which passed through space in this general vicinity and were not intended for their ears. It is 'scandal,' said the operator, and everybody in the room could hear it through the large horn. Here the visitors were given the privilege of sending radio messages back to their homes. They were told that they could write out any message to any part of the country and the American Radio Relay League, which is composed of amateurs, would transmit it free of charge.

At a dinner that evening given by the Boston Chamber of Commerce the visitors listened to educational and scientific leaders of Massachusetts tell of what has been accomplished in this State and to some extent of what can be done in Georgia. And Governor Dorsey and Dr. K. G. Matheson, president of the Georgia School of Technology, told of the inspiration they have gained from their visit to Boston and to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, which they inspected for several hours yesterday.

Dr. Matheson said that the delegation from Georgia had made many discoveries during their visit, which he was sure has been epochmaking for Georgia.

"We have been sleeping on our great possibilities and our great natural resources," he added. "I am not seeking to discredit the South, but we have not been efficient, and we go back with the firm conviction that trained intelligence coupled with sterling character can solve the great problems of life.

"You have appreciated the power and potency of a trained mind," continued Governor Dorsey. "We are indebted to you of Massachusetts for many things. You have built for us great cotton mills and great railroads. Your people have seen the desirability of developing our mines and your financiers have been men of vision, while ours have been asleep. Yours, therefore, have reaped a rich and well-deserved harvest.

Dr. Arthur D. Little, '85, spoke on "Georgia's Industrial Opportunities," declaring that the future of Georgia and, in fact, the entire South lies in chemistry, continuing to point out the many developments in the southern field of commerce in the past sixty years that have been directly due to chemistry.

He stressed the great waste that goes on in the industries in Georgia, and said that there is certain to be a great development of papermaking in Georgia during the next ten years.

"I will venture to say," added Dr. Little, “that pulpwood is rotting right at your doors worth tens of thousands of dollars.

Frederick P. Fish of the Institute Corporation spoke of the growth of that institution and declared that it is entitled to the reputation it holds throughout the world. In closing he promised Georgia Tech any help that Massachusetts Tech can give.

Everett Morss, '85, also of the Corporation presided and gave the Georgians a cordial welcome.

The tour, although arranged by the Georgia School of Technology, was financed personally by the individual members of the party, which included Hugh P. Dorsey, Governor of the State of Georgia and J. A. Mandeville, president of the Georgia Cotton Manufacturers' Association. Particular care was taken in picking the men who were to go, as there were very nearly five hundred applications and the party was limited to one hundred and fifty. Among the prominent men taking the trip, besides the Governor and Mr. Mandeville were: United States Senator W. J. Harris; Robert S. Adams, former president of the National Association of Rotary Clubs; Clark Howell, editor of the Atlanta Constitution; Dr. S. W. Callie, State geologist of Georgia; Dr. K. G. Matheson, president of Georgia School of Technology; George B. Barrett, president of the Kiawanis Club, Atlanta, Ga.; C. H. Dance, president of the Georgia Ice Manufacturers' Association, Toccoa, Ga.; Charles G. Edwards, president of the Board of Trade, Savannah, Ga.; B. Mifflin Hood, president of the Southern Division American Face Brick Association, Atlanta, Ga.; Horace Lanier, West Point Iron Works, West Point, Ga.; W. W. Legge, president of the Rotary Club, Albany, Ga.; Hon. Sam Tate, Ga.; W. E. Dunwoody, president of the Standard Brick Co. and Georgia Brick Manufacturers' Association, Augusta, Ga.; J. S. Schofield, member of the Executive Committee Southern Metal Trades' Association, Macon, Ga.; J. T. Smith, member of the Executive Council Country Bankers' Association, Concord, Ga.; L. L. Arnold, Editor of Cotton, Atlanta, Ga.; Major John S. Cohen, Editor of Atlanta Journal, Atlanta, Ga.; George Winship, Jr., president, Fulton Supply Co., Atlanta, Ga.; J. M. Heath, Sr., Georgia Manager, Southern Cotton Oil Co., Talbottom, Ga.; Chauncey Smith, Head of Industrial Department, Southern Bell Telephone and Telegraph Company, Atlanta, Ga.; John W. Grant, capitalist, Atlanta, Ga.



MR. WARNER was born on March 9, 1869, at Clinton, Illinois. He was educated at Phillips Academy, Exeter, N. H. Of his life there a classmate beloved of '92 Tech men, William R. Kales, writes the following interesting account:

"He entered the academy in the fall of 1884 and took the complete course of four years. Physically unadapted for athletics, he spent a good deal of his spare time hunting, fishing and in other out-of-door forms of amusement. He was always very popular with the members of his Class for, as you know, every one who came in contact with him grew more and more fond of him as they knew him better. His interest in all school and college affairs was of the keenest and I do not know any one in the Class of '88 at Exeter, who was more popular and more generally liked, with the possible exception of some of the athletic stars, in our little world up there.

It is hard for me to give you a sketch of his collegiate and school days, because his character was one of such modest unselfishness and his influence was along such quiet lines that there is very little in the way of dramatic incident to relate. I can think of many incidents illustrating his generosity, his sound sense and judgment and his helpful attitude in connection with everything that was right and deserved support, but an attempt on my part to set these incidents down on paper might make a long and dull story.

[ocr errors]

In the fall of 1888 Warner entered the Mechanical Engineering Department at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, taking his degree of Bachelor of Science in this department four years later. While at the Institute he exhibited in more marked degree the same modest, but always friendly and helpful, interest in Class affairs as in his personal friendships.

Of this and a subsequent period of his life Kales says:

"His modesty kept him in the background at Technology, as at Exeter, until his ever-growing army of friends pushed him into the Class Day office of Historian in our senior year. He was a member of the Sigma Phi Fraternity and I know of no one who exerted a stronger and better influence in trying to make life a little more worth living for those around him. His advice on all questions in the fraternity was always so generously given and was always based on such logical conclusions that no one's opinion ever carried more weight than his.

[ocr errors]

In the summer of 1891, prior to his senior year, Warner made a trip to Europe with Kales, tramping through southwestern Germany and Switzerland - a broadening influence which left a deep imprint upon his nature. Immediately after graduation, again with Kales, he made a trip to Cuba, as oiler on a fruit steamer. In the harbor of Baracoa a

bad fire broke out in an oil refinery on the shore and with characteristic promptitude Murray and his friend, Billy Kales, succeeded in bringing help from the ship, and in getting the pumps at the refinery into working order in such capable, energetic fashion that the fire was controlled, and on the succeeding day the mayor of the town made pilgrimage to the ship, with a delegation of notables, to thank them for their services.

Contact with one another in their preparatory school and collegiate days, led Warner and Kales to begin their professional work together. As Kales writes:

"In July, 1892, he and I went to work for the Wheelock Engine Company in Worcester, where we tossed up a cent to see who should have a job in the drafting room and who should have a job in the shop. Murray won and chose the shop. We were together until the following January, sharing the same room. At that time I (Kales) went to Chicago and have only seen Murray on rare occasions since. He was, however, the best man at my wedding, which was peculiarly appropriate as it was while in his company on the trip to Europe that I met my wife.

During the Spanish-American War, Warner served as lieutenant in the Navy. Some time thereafter he went to China, establishing the engineering department of the American Trading Company, and had to do with the installation of various electric and mechanical plants. At the time of the Boxer Rebellion he was in charge of the American company of Volunteers, organized by him to protect the foreign settlement at Shanghai. He was twice President of the American Association of China, which represented American interests there. He was a ThirtySecond Degree Mason of the Shanghai Chapter of the Order of Scottish Rights.

In 1904 he met in Shanghai and married Miss Gertrude Bass of Peterborough, Vermont.

Warner made an excellent name for himself in China, through his fair dealing, integrity and sympathetic interest with the affairs of that country, and upon his return to this country was recalled to China by the Chinese, to execute further work for them there. The affection and esteem in which he was held by them was shown by his being asked to act as godfather to the son of an influential mandarin a responsibility which he cheerfully undertook and which he met throughout his life. Upon his return to this country he came to the East, where he remained for a time, but finally settled on the Pacific Coast at San Francisco and had made a very pleasant circle of interesting friends. When the war broke out he offered his services and in July, 1917, in response to the urgent call of Mr. Allen Hazen, M. I. T. '88, who was the consulting engineer on the construction of Camp Dix, he went to Wrightstown, New Jersey, to assist in the building of that camp, and after its completion he became construction quartermaster - a dollara-year man in charge of the construction of utilities. In November he was commissioned major in the Quartermaster Corps, and made construction quartermaster in charge of utilities at Camp Dix, where he served until the armistice.

« SebelumnyaLanjutkan »