« SebelumnyaLanjutkan »
MEMOIRS of a CAPTIVITY among the INDIANS of NORTH AMERICA, from Childhood to the Age of Nineteen. With Anecdotes descriutive of their Manners and Customs, and an Account of the Territory westward of the Mississippi. To which are now added, Reflections on the Present Condition of the Indians, and a Plan for Ameliorating their Circumstances. By John D. HUNTER. In 8vo. Third Edit. with a Portrait. Price 12s. Bds.
* We may confidently refer the reader to the work, as offering incomparably the best account which we have yei seen of the Indian Tribes,"..-Quarterly Review.
“ A History more calculated to attract the Public, bas not, in our opinion, been given since De Foe made Alexander Selkirk his own, uuder the Fiction of Robinson Crnsoe."--Literary Gazette.
67. An INTRODUCTION to ANATOMY and PHYSIOLOGY, for the Use of general Readers, Young Persons, and Junior Medical Students. By THOMAS SANDWITH, Esq. Surgeon. In I Vol. 12mo. with Plates. Price 9s. Bds.
68. PLAIN INSTRUCTIONS to EXECUTORS and ADMINISTRATORS, ghewing the Duties and Responsibilities incident to the due Performance of their Trusts; with Directions respecting the Probate of Wills, and taking out Letters of Administration ; &c. &c. In a small 8vo. Volume. 2nd Edit. Price 5s. Bewed.
A COMPENDIOUS CHART of ANCIENT HISTORY and BIOGRAPHY, designed principally for the Use of young Persons. Dedicated, by Permission, to the Rey. ARCHDEACON BUTLER, D.D.F.R.S. S.A. &c. Head Master of Shrewsbury School. By Mrs. John HURFORD, of Altrincham. Neatly engraved on a Plate, Two Feet Six Inches, by Two Feet, and carefully coloured. Price 8s. 60. in Sheets; 109. 6d. folded in Boards; and 12s. on Canvas and Roller, or in a Case.
This Chart is intended to exhibit, on a simple and perspicuous Plan, a connected View of the Rise, Progress, Extent, and Duration, of the principal Empires of Antiquity, to. gether with the leading Events and most prominent Characters which distinguished the several Epochas. It includes the period of time from the Flood to the Dissolution of the Western Roman Empire
Also, by the same Author, A BRIEF SUMMARY of ANCIENT I tended as a companion to the above. HISTORY, arranged in Periods; in
In 12mo. Price 3s. half-bound. " This Chart is constructed with great ingenuity.... It in some measure combines the advantages of both Dr. Priestley's charts, the Biographical and Historical."---Monthly Review.
70. SKETCHES of CORSICA; or a JOURNAL written during a Visit to that Island in 1823, with an Outline of its History; and Specimens of the Language and Poetry of the People. With 5 Plates. By ROBERT BENSON. I Vol. 8vo. 10s. 6d. Bds.
TRAVELS in the INTERIOR of SOUTHERN AFRICA. By W.J. BURCHELL, Esq. With a large and entirely new Map, and a Hundred and Sixteen coloured and black Engravings. In 4to. Price 41. 14s. 6d. Bds. Vol. II.
In the Second Volume will be found an interesting Account of the Native Tribes; with whom the Author lived on terms which gave him very favourable opportunities for dis. covering their true Character. As his Views in travelling were not contined to any particular class of observations, but were extended to whatever appeared likely to produce useful knowledge, his Researches have embraced that variety of subjects, which a Journey, over Ground never before trodden by European Foot, and through the strange and unknown Regions of Africa, might be expected to afford. The First Vol. may be had, with Plates, 41. 149. 60. Bds.
72. DUKE CHRISTIAN of LUNEBURG; or, Traditions from the Hartz. By Miss JANE PORTER. Dedicated, by the most gracious Permission, to His Majesty. In 3 Vols. 12mo. Price 11. 4s. Bds.
By the same Author, THADDEUS of WARSAW, 3 Vols. , The PASTOR'S FIRE-SIDE, in 4 12mo. Ilth Edit. 188.
Volumes, 12mo. the Third Edition, Price
11. lls. 6d. Boards. SCOTTISH CHIEFS, 4 Vols. 12mo. TALES ROUND A WINTER 6th Edit. ll. lls. 6d. Bds.
HEARTH. 2 Vols. 12mo. 169. Bds.
An ESSAY on the INVENTIONS and CUSTOMS of both ANCIENTS and MODERNS in the USE of INEBRIATING LIQUORS; interspersed with interesting Anecdotes, illustrative of the Manners and Habits of the principal Nations of the World. With an historical View of the Extent and Practice of Distillation, both as it relates to Commerce, and as a Source of National Income: comprising much curious Information, respecting the Application and Properties of several Parts of the Vegetable Kingdom. By SAMUEL MOREWOOD, Surveyor of Excise. In 1 Vol. 8vo. Price 12s. Bds.
74. A New Edition of the SAXON CHRONICLE, with an English Translation, and Notes, Critical and Explanatory. By the Rev. J. INGRAM, late Saxon Professor in the University of Oxford. To which are added, a New and Copious Chronological, Topographical, and Glossarial Index, with a short Grammar of the Saxon Language. In One Vol. 4to. with an accurate and enlarged Map of England during the Heptarchy, Plates of Coins, &c. Price 31. 138. 6d. Boards. Large paper, 61. 6s. Bds.
75. ACCOUNT of an EXPEDITION from PITTSBURGH to the ROCKY MOUNTAINS, performed in the Years 1819-20, by Order of the Hon. J. C. CALHOUN, Secretary of War, under the Command of Major S. H. LONG, of the United States Topographical Engineers. Compiled from the Notes of Major LONG, Mr. T. SAY, and other Gentlemen of the Party. By Edwin JAMES, Botanist and Geologist for the Ex. pedition. In Three Volumes, Octavo, illustrated with Maps and Plates. Price 11, los. Bds.
76. TRAVELS, comprising Observations made during a Residence in various Parts of Savoy, seldom visited by British Tourists, particularly in the ProVINCE of the TARENTAISE, and the more ALPINE DISTRICTS; also in several of the SWISS CANTONS, in the Years 1820, 1821, and 1822. Including a Visit to Auvergne, and a Description of the extinct Volcanoes in the Vicinity of Clermont; with Remarks on the present State of Society, Manners, and Religion, and on the Climate, Agriculture, and physical Structure and Geology of these Countries. With a full and impartial Statement of the Circumstances, which render Geneva eligible or otherwise, as a place of temporary Residence, or for the Education of English Youth. By ROBERT BAKEWELL, Esq. "In 2 Vols. 8vo. with Plates, and numerous Wood-cuts. Price 11. 6s. Bds.
FIRST STEPS to BOTANY, intended as popular Illustrations of the Science, leading to its Study as a Branch of general Education. By James L. DRUMMOND, M.D. Professor of Anatomy and Physiology in the Belfast Academical Institution. In 12mo. with 100 Wood-Cuts, comprising 200 Figures. Price 9s. Bds.
" This answers more completely to the proper notion of an Introduction to Botany than any work we have seen."- Eclectic Review, April.
THE MEDICAL GUIDE, for the Use of the Heads of Families, the Clergy, and young Practitioners; embracing the latest Discoveries in Medicine, regarding the Properties of Remedies, and the Prevention, Treatment, Causes, and Nature of Diseases; the Clothing, Feeding, &c. of infants; means of counteracting the effects of the different Poisons of the animal, vegetable, and mineral kingdoms; and the Management of Accidents, Fits, &c. requiring immediate Assistance; with a complete modern Dispensatory, &c. interspersed with cautionary Remarks to prevent a misapplication of the Remedies, &c. By RICHARD Reece, M.D. Fellow of the Royal Col. lege of Surgeons of London; Corresponding Member of the Society of Practical Medicine of Paris, &c. &c. in 8vo. Price 10s. 6d. Bds. the 14th edition, with additions.
By the same Author, A PRACTICAL TREATISE on the Constitutional Maladies, and of Disorders MEANS of OBVIATING and TREAT. of the Lungs, Stomach, Liver, Rectum, ING the VARIETIES of COSTIVE. &c. &c. by Medicine, Diet, &c. &c. In NESS, at different Periods of Life, and
1 Vol. 8vo. Price 9s. Bds. in Cases of Predisposition to various
79, JOURNAL of a TEN MONTHS' RESIDENCE in NEW ZEALAND. By RICHARD A. CRUISE, Esq. Major in the 84th Regt. Foot. Second Edition, 8vo. Price 103. 6d. Boards, with a Frontispiece.
MAJOR CRUISE, during his Residence in New Zealand, maintained a constant Intercourse with the Inhabitants, and devoted much of his leisure to their Society, which afforded him full opportunity of observing their general Customs and Manners.
80. SKETCHES of the LIVES of CORREGGIO and PARMEGIANO. With Notes of their Principal Works. Beautifully printed in Post 8vo. with a Portrait. Price 10s. 6d.
81. A DESCRIPTION of the CHARACTER, MANNERS, and CUSTOMS of the PEOPLE of INDIA, and their Institutions, Religious and Civil. By the Abbé J. DUBOIS. In One Volume, Quarto. Price 21. 2s. Boards.
82. NARRATIVE of a TOUR through the MOREA, giving an Account of the present State of that Peninsula and its Inhabitants. By Sir WILLIAM GELL. In One Volume Octavo, illustrated by Plates, Wood Cuts, &c. Price 15s. Bds.
83. “ SYLVA FLORIFERA,” the 5 SHRUBBERY;" containing an Historical and Botanical Account of the Flowering Shrubs and Trees, which now orna. ment the Shrubbery, the Park, and Rural Scenes in general. By HENRY PHILLIPS, F.H.S. Author of the History of Fruits, known in Great Britain, and the History of Cultivated Vegetables. In 2 Vols. 8vo. Price Il. Is. Bds.
84. The only complete Editions of The REMAINS of HENRY KIRKE WHITE, selected, with prefatory Remarks, by ROBERT SOUTHEY, Esq. In 2 Vols. Price 11. 4s. And in 1 Vol. 24mo. with engraved title and vignettes. Price 5s. Bds.
N. B. The property of the Family having been invaded, it is necessary to state, that these are the only Editions which contain the Life by Mr. Southey, and the whole of the contents of the Third Volume. Also may be had, separately, VOLUME THE THIRD, of the first Edition. In 8vo.
Price 9s. Bds.
85. ADVICE to YOUNG MOTHERS on the Physical Education of Children. By a GRANDMOTHER. In 1 Vol. 12mo. Price 78. 6d. Bds.
86. SELECT WORKS of the BRITISH POETS, with Biographical and Critical Prefaces ; being a Library of Classical English Poetry. By Dr. AIKIN. In 10 Vols. post 18mo. Price 21., in royal 18mo. to match the British Essayists and Novelists, 31. ; and complete, in 1 Vol. 8vo. for Schools, &c. 188.
"We have noticed with pleasure the appearance of a compilation, which places before is the best Poems of our best Poets in a very accessible form; and in the Selection of which we have the benefit of the sound taste, and critical abilities, of a gentleman so long and so usefully known to the world of letters as Dr. Aikin. The plan of the present Work is both comprehensive and judicious.-Monthly Review, March, 1822.
REMARKS on the PRESENT SYSTEM of ROAD MAKING, with Observations deduced from Practice and Experience; with a View to a Revision of the existing Laws, and the Introduction of Improvement in the Method of making, repairing, and preserving Roads, and defending the Road Funds from Misapplication. By John LOUDON M'ADAM, Esq. General Surveyor of the Roads in the Bristol District. The Eighth Edition. In 8vo. Price 7s. 6d. Bds.
By the same Author, OBSERVATIONS on the MANAGE Quality of Executive Officers; and upon MENT of TRUSTS for the CARE of
the Nature and Effect of the present
Road Law of this Kingdom, illustrated by TURNPIKE ROADS, as regards the Repair of the Road, the Expenditure of
examples from a practical experience of the Revenue, and the Appointment and
nine years. In 8vo. Price 6s. Bds.
88. CONVERSATIONS on CHEMISTRY. In which the Elements of that Science are familiarly explained and illustrated by Experiments. In this Edition a Conversation has been added on the Steam Engine. The Tenth Edition, revised and improved, in 2 Vols. 12mo. with Plates by Lowry, 14s. Bds.
By the same Author, CONVERSATIONS on NATURAL I CONVERSATIONS on POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY. 4th Edition, 10s. 60. ECONOMY. Fifth Edition, in 12mo. Bds. with 22 Engravings by Lowry,
CONVERSATIONS on BOTANY, with Twenty-one Engravings. The Fifth Edition, enlarged, in 1 Vol. 12mo. Price 78. 6d. plain, or 12s, coloured. The object of this work is to enable young persons to acquire a knowledge of the vegetable productions of their native country; for this purpose the arrangement of Linnæus is briefly explained, and a native plant of each class (with a few exceptions) is examined, and illustrated by an engraving; and a short account is added of some of the principal foreign species.
CONVERSATIONS on MINERALOGY; with Plates, engraved by Mr. and Miss Lowry, from Original Drawings, comprising upwards of 400 Figures of Minerals, including 12 beautifully coloured Specimens. Second Edit. in 2 Vols. 12mo. Price 14s. Bds.
“ The plan of these Conversations is happily conceived, and it is executed, with ability and taste. The Author has studiously avoided all unnecessary parade of technical Diction, has rendered the Doc. trine of Crystallography more familiar than heretofore to the Tyro in Mineralogy, and has included some of the most recently discovered Substances. We may, therefore, unhesitatingly characterise this Work as one of the most desirable Text Books that have issued from the British Press," - Monthly Review, Dec. 1822.
A PRACTICAL SYNOPSIS of CUTANEOUS DISEASES, according to the Arrangement of Dr. WILLAN, exhibiting a concise View of the Diagnostic Symptoms, and the Method of Treatment. By THOMAS BATEMAN, M.D. F.L.S. late Physician to the Public Dispensary, and to the Fever Institution. In 8vo. Price 12s. Bds. (with a Plate of the Eight Orders, beautifully coloured) the Sixth Edition.
By the same Author, DELINEATIONS of the CUTANE- | 4to. with upwards of 70 coloured Plates. OUS DISEASES, comprised in the
121. 12s. Bds, Classification of the late Dr. Willan. In
The Series of new Engravings, representing those Diseases which should have been figured in the subsequent Parts of Dr. Willan's unfinished Work, may be had by the Possessors of that Work, separate, Price 71. Bds.
92. The ART of VALUING RENTS and TILLAGES, and the Tenant's Right on entering and quitting Farms, explained by several Specimens of Valua. tions, and Remarks on the Cultivation pursued on Soils in different situations. Adapted to the Use of Landlords, Land Agents, Appraisers, Farmers, and Tenants. By J. S. BAYLDON, Land Agent and Appraiser. The Second Edition, in 8vo. Price 7s. Bds, with the Plan of a Farm of 252 Acres.
An EXPLANATORY PRONOUNCING DICTIONARY of the FRENCH LANGUAGE, in French and English ; wherein the exact Sound and Articulation of every Syllable are distinctly marked. To which are prefixed, the Principles of the French Pronunciation, Prefatory Directions for using the Spelling Representative of every Sound, and the Conjugation of the Verbs regular, irregular, and defective, with their true Pronunciation. By L'ABBE TARDY, late Master of Arts in the University at Paris. In 12mo. a new Edition, revised, Price 6s. Bound.
94. On the NATURE and TREATMENT of the DISTORTIONS to which the SPINE, and the BONES of the CHEST, are subject; with an Enquiry into the Merits of the several Modes of Practice, which have been followed in the Treatment of Distortions. By John Shaw, Surgeon, and Lecturer on Anatomy. In 8vo. 10s. 6. Bds. Engravings, in Folio, illustrative of the Work. 11. Ils.6d, Bds.
Ry the same Author, A SUPPLEMENT to the WORK on mentary Views of Anatomy, and their 95. SONGS of ZION, being Imitations of Psalms. By J. MontGOMERY. In Foolscap 8vo. Price 58. Second Edition.
DISTORTIONS of the SPINE and Application to Pathology and Surgery. BONES of the CHEST. 8vo. 7s. Bds.
With two Plates, illustrative of the new
Arrangement of the Nervous System, The MANUAL of ANATOMY, con founded on Discoveries lately made by
taining Rules for shewing the Structure Mr. Charles Bell. 2 Vols. 12mo. the of the Body; so as to exhibit the ele, Third Edit. 12s. Bds.
By the same Author, GREENLAND, and other POEMS. | Or the preceding, in 3 Vols. with uniform 3d Edit. 8s. Bds.
Titles, 11. 13s. Bds. The WORLD before the FLOOD.
Also, VERSES to the MEMORY of 7th Edit. 9s.
R. REYNOLDS. Price 2s. The WEST INDIES, and other
POLYHYMNIA; or, Select Airs of POEMS. 6th Edit. 6s.
celebrated Foreign Composers, adapted The WANDERER of SWITZER to English Words, written expressly for LAND. 9th Edit. 6s.
this Work. Price 6s.
96. LACON; or; MANY THINGS in FEW WORDS. By the Rev. C. C. COLTON, late Fellow of King's College, Cambridge, and Vicar of Kew and Petersham. A New Edit. in 2 Vols. 8vo. Price 14s. Bds.
TRAN, ANCHEN PRE Mapsecco
TRAVELS in GEORGIA, PERSIA, ARMENIA, COURDESTAN,ANCIENT BABYLONIA, &c. &c., during the Years 1817, 1818, 1819, and 1820. By Sir ROBERT KER PORTER. In 2 large Vols. 4to. with numerous Engravings of Portraits, Customs, Antiquities, Maps, &c. &c. Price 91. 98. Bds.
98. ILLUSTRATIONS of LYING, in all its Branches. By AMELIA Opie. 2d Edit, in 2 Vols. 12mo. 10s. 6d. Bds.
By the same Author, MADELINE. A Tale. In 2 Vols. | VALENTINE'S EVE. A Novel. 3 12mo. Price 14s. Bds.
Volumes, 12mo. Second Edition, Price
11. ls. Boards. The FATHER and DAUGHTER. AI Tale. 8th Edit. frontis. 48. 6d. Bds.
TALES of REAL LIFE. In Three
Volumes, 12mo, the Third Edition, Price TALES of the HEART. 4 Vols.
18s. Boards. 12mo. 2d Edition, 11. 8s. Bds.
| TEMPER ; or DOMESTIC SCENES. NEW TALES. 4 Vols. 12mo. 3d A Tale. Third Edition, Three Volumes, Edit. ll. 8s. Bds.
12mc. Price ll. ls. Bås.
99. MEMOIRS of JOHN, DUKE of MARLBOROUGH; with his Original Correspondence, collected from the Family Records at Blenheim, and other authentic Sources. By the REVEREND ARCHDEACON Coxe. 6 Vols. 8vo. with an Atlas, 51. 58.
By the same Author, The PRIVATE and CONFIDEN- | MEMOIRS of the KINGS of SPAIN
TIAL CORRESPONDENCE of CHAS. of the HOUSE of BOURBON, from the TALBOT, Duke of SHREWSBURY, Accession of Philip the Fifth to the principal Minister to King William, for Death of Charles the Third, 1700-1788, a considerable Period of his Reign. In from Original Documents, and Secret 4to. with a Portrait of the Duke of Papers, many of which have vever before Shrewsbury, from an original Painting, been published. The 2d Edition. In by Sir Peter Lely. Price 31. 38. Bds.
5 Vols. 8vo. 31. in Bds. A few Copies in
3 Vols. imp. 4to. 121. 12s. Bds. HISTORY of the HOUSE of AUSTRIA, from the Foundation of the Mo
TOUR in MONMOUTHSHIRE. 2 narchy, by Rhodolph of Hapsburgh, to
Vols. 4to. Boards, with Plates. 41. 4s. the Death of Leopold the Second, 1218
Boards. to 1792. 5 Vols. 8vo. Price 31. 135. 6d. Boards.
NORTHERN TOUR. 5 Vols. 8vo. MEMOIRS of the LIFE and AD.
21. 12s.6d. Boards. MINISTRATION of Sir ROBERT WALPOLE, Earl of Orford, drawn from MEMOIRS of HORATIO LORD Original Correspondeuce and Authentic
WALPOLE In 2 Vols. 8vo. 11. 6s. Papers never before publislied. In 4
in Boards, the 2d Edition. Vols. 8vo. 21. 8s. Boards.
100. The HISTORY of the REIGN of GEORGE the THIRD. By Robert Bisser, LL.D. Author of the Life of Burke, &c. &c. A new Edition, completed to the Death of the King, in 6 Vols. 8vo. Price 31. 3s. Bds.