Gambar halaman

14. George Young & I made the first fire in the New house preparatory for scouring the floors & cupboards from the garret to the ground—we tried the chimney draft every way-house closed, doors & windows open-it draws admirably-Jo Dun took

my horse and cart without my leave—he is one of the plagues of Egypt to me.

Sunday October 2d 1831 M. ppo.

New house warming-Mrs C. McGee, Aaron, Catho Durnin, M' & M" Peter Johnston, Mrs. Kavanagh, Cath & Anne Jane Johnston-fine day. ( After this date the diary was written by some other person at the dictation of Rev.

P. Kenny.-J. W.)

[ocr errors]

January 13th 1833. Sunday

Dined and spent the afternoon at M' Gareschés Eden Park, return'd to Wilmo at 5 P.M. left my cards of New Year compliments at M' and M" Bayards, at our Governor elect's house, Major Bennett, and visited Miss Milligan before I went to M" McGee's.

January 14. My journey to Manyunk out and home on the 8th instant, all expenses thereof defrayed by M. Garesche for Jerome Keating. We reached Manyunk the same fine day at 3 P. M. and instantly proceeded to the interment of the 4 infant children. The ceremony was over at 4 P M. when the carriages and drivers started on their return for Wilmington, M. in Manyunk church on 10th Inst, took breakfast, M" Noel and I were conveyed to Philadelphia in M' Jerome Keating's carriage, snow all the way, and for the remainder of the afternoon but light. Visited M' John Keating, Louis Ryan and Bishop Kenrick and Bishop Conwell whilst I had the carriage, the coachman laid me down at Washington Square just in time for dinner, where I was cordially received and invited to remain until I would start for home, the coachman returned to Manyunk. In Wilm" by Steam Boat Capt" Reed, at 5 PM

[ocr errors]

N. B. John Nolan concluded his business of sale of his plantation on this 14" with Rob' Morrison of Doctor Gibbins's rolling mill for $22..00 p acre, whereby I have some prospect.

January 28. 1833
Received a note from M" Noel by the Lancaster Stage, in-
forming me of the death of my most valuable friend, Jerome
Keating of Manyunk, who expired on Saturday 26, Rt. Po

M. Soul of Jerome Keating

Feb 2d M' Fallen and James M° Gee came at i Oclock to beg that I would go into Wilmington tomorrow and give Mass as the congregation would be disappointed by the rambling of Reva George A. Carrell. I intend going in if I shall be able and the day dry.

3d Sunday I went to Wil" by express of yesterday, arrived there at 11 Oclock. after M broke fast and returned home immediately.

Feby 5 M. An" of the decease of late RevAnthony Kenny of Lara near Pittsburg

26 cash forwarded to Rev. M' Donaghoe for a full years subscription to the Catholic Herald $3..50

March 26. M F. occupied the small upper room of the new house last night. He was the first who ever snored in the new building north of Wilmington Turnpike


One of the earliest items recorded in the Diary of Rev.
Patrick Kenny was written on November 25, 1805, as follows:

2 Bap. French families Wilmington."

The members of these French families, at a later date, were intimate and highly valued friends of Father Kenny; and his

intercourse with them continued until death severed their friendly association.

As the names of some of them are frequently mentioned in the Diary, and as many of their descendants have been intimate friends of the writer, the opportunity is here taken to briefly refer to their history.

Many prominent men from France settled in San Domingo during the last century, and were among the most prosperous sugar planters on that island. At the time of the insurrection of the slaves, the white planters were obliged to take refuge in other lands.

Jean Garesché, one of these San Domingo French pioneers, emigrated from France to that island about the year 1760. Though a Protestant himself he married a most exemplary Catholic lady. On account of the insurrection he returned to France in 1792, and came to the United States in 1794. Soon after he moved to Wilmington, Delaware, where his old friend and neighbor, of San Domingo, Jean Baptiste Breton Des Chapelles, was living. He died in 1801. His two sons, John Peter and Vital Marie, accompanied him to Wilmington. John P. Garesché married Cora, daughter of Pierre Bauduy, while Vital M. Garesché married her sister, Mimica Louisa Bauduy.

Jean Baptiste Breton Des Chapelles, of an ancient family of Brittany, was a rich Sau Domingo planter. Compelled to leave that island on account of the insurrection of the slaves, he came to the United States a few years before the close of the last century, and settled in Wilmington, Delaware, with his three daughters and his son-in-law, Pierre Bauduy, who had married his daughter Julia.

Pierre Bauduy also had been a rich San Domingo planter. Having escaped from the negro insurrection he settled in Wilmington with his wife. He was the architect of the City Hall in Wilmington. An exemplary Catholic himself, as was also his wife, it was mainly through their exertions that the first Catholic church in Wilmington was erected. In compliment to him it was dedicated under the invocation of St. Peter, his patron Saint.

Ferdinand, a son of Peter Bauduy, married Victorine, the daughter of Eleuthere Irenee Du Pont, who in 1802, founded the firm of E. I. Du Pont de Nemours & Co., powder manufacturers on the Brandywine near Wilmington.

In connection with Mr. Du Pont, Mr. Pierre Bauduy established the powder works at Eden Park, one mile southwest of Wilmington. Pierre Bauduy eventually settled on a sugar plantation, in Cuba, where he died. Of the other children of Pierre Bauduy, Mimica Louisa married Vital Marie Garesché, in September, 1809.

Cora married John Peter Garesché about 1811. Helen married her cousin, Henry Alexander Des Chapelles.* Julia married, first, Mr. Testu of Cuba, and, secondly, Mr. Rabel of the same island. At this time (1898) she is living in Spain.

Peter married his cousin, Amelia Keating.

When Pierre Bauduy moved to Cuba, about 1819, he relinquished the powder mills at Eden Park to his two sons-inlaw, Vital M. and John P. Garesché.

Father Kenny, in his Diary, frequently referred both to Mrs. Mimica and Mrs. Cora Garesché. The former was an accomplished musician, and, in conjunction with her husband, who, at that time was not a Catholic, organized a choir at St. Peter's church, in Wilmington, and for many years presided at the organ.

In 1839, the two brothers Garesché dissolved their partnership, and Vital M., with his wife and children, moved to St. Louis, Mo. In the year 1843, he became a Catholic, and in 1844, died. Julius Peter, a son of Vital M. Garesché, (born in April, 1821,) graduated at the Military Academy at West Point in 1841, and was assigned to the artillery arm of the service. In July, 1862, he was appointed a lieutenantcolonel in his corps. On October 30, 1862, General Rosecrans relieved General Buell of his command; and Lieutenant-Colonel Julius P. Garesché was appointed assistant adjutant general and chief of his staff. On the morning of the 21st of the

* Mr. Des Chapelles, with his wife, moved to a sugar plantation, which he purchased near Matanzas, in Cuba, where he died. After the death of her husband Mrs. Des Chapelles occasionally spent the Summer season in the vicinity of Philadelphia.

following December, Father Trecy, the chaplain, offered the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, at which Col. Garesché received Communion. A few hours afterwards Colonel Garesché was killed in battle, by the side of his general. A daughter of Col. Julius P: Garesché is now in a convent at St. Louis, Mo.

Louis, son of Colonel Garesché, wrote a biography of his father for private circulation, which was published in 1887. For much of the information contained in the present paper, the writer is indebted to this biography.

Rev. Frederick Garesché, S. J., born in 1826, and now living in New Oreleans, is a son of Vital M. Garesché. Another son of Vital M. Garesché, Alexander, was the father of Juliet, a member of the Order of the House of the Good Shepherd; and, as Mother St. Laura, she died in the Convent at Norristown in 1897.

Another grand-daughter of Vital M. Garesché, Sister Mary St. Anthony, is now living at the House of the Good Shepherd in Philadelphia.

John P. Garesché, having bought the interest of his brother, Vital Marie, in the powder mills at Eden Park, continued to manufacture powder there until the year 1855. He died in St. Louis in 1860. Through the influence of his wife and family he became a Catholic before his death.

Bauduy P., the oldest son of John P. Garesché, married in 1849, Miss Juliette, a daughter of Louis McLane, of Wilmington. At the time of her marriage she was not a Catholic. With his wife he moved to St. Louis, where he died in 1869. A few years after his death his widow entered the convent of the Sacred Heart, in St. Louis, where two of her daughters had preceded her. She died in 1885. Her daughters are still living in the convent.

John Keating was born in the County of Limerick, in Ireland, about the year 1760. He commanded a regiment in the French army, in San Domingo, at the time when the Bourbons fell from power. Refusing all solicitations to continue in the French army, he came to the United States in 1792, and soon after settled in Wilmington.

« SebelumnyaLanjutkan »