« SebelumnyaLanjutkan »
STATE OF TEXAS.
ADOPTED BY THE CONSTITUTIONAL CONVENTION,
WITH AMENDMENTS DECLARED ADOPTED OCTO-
OF THE TEXAS BAR.
GAMMEL BOOK COMPANY,
MAR 2 8 1944
Entered according to Act of Congress, in the year 1900, by
DS. B.:AXTELI In the office of the Librarian of Congress, at Washington.
A constitution is an historical instrument.
It is a thing made, in that it is made by the people; it is a maker, in that it makes and moulds the government of the people.
Many have been the Constitutions of Texas.
(1) The Federal Constitution of the United Mexican States, known as the Constitution of 1824. Followed by the Constitution and Laws of Coahuila and Texas, adopted eleventh of March, 1827, in which was included the Colonization Laws of Texas and Tamaulipas.
(2) The plans and powers of the Provisional Goverument of Texas, adopted Nov. 13th, 1835.
(3) The Constitution of the Republic, adopted by convention March 16th, 1836. Ratified by the people on the first Monday in September, 1836.
(4) The Constitution of 1845, and with it Texas became a part of the Union December 29th, 1845. Amended Jan. 6th, 1850, with reference to judges.
(5) In seceding from the Union the Constitution was amended March 25th, 1861.
(6) At the close of the Civil war amendments were made to the Constitution on the fourth Monday of June, 1866, which did not meet the approval of Congress.
(7) Under the Re-construction Acts a new Constitution was formed and ratified by the people first Monday in July, 1869, adopted by the Congress March 30th, 1870, and Texas came into the Union. Amendments ratified Dec. 2nd, 1873.
(8) Constitution of 1876; convention assembled September 6th, 1875; ratified by the people February 15th, 1876; took effect 18th of April, 1876.