« SebelumnyaLanjutkan »
Election of overseers of the highways.
o'clock A. M., and close the same at three o'clock P. M, the same day.
3. And be it enacted, That the overseers of the highways of the several road districts in the said townships shall be elected by the legal voters of the several road districts as they may be arranged from time to time by the township committees, and for the purpose of carrying this provision into effect, it shall be the duty of the township committee to give public notice of the time and place of holding the first district road meeting under this act, and shall cause notice thereof to be posted up in some conspicuous place in such district, at least five days before the time of hold. ing any such meeting, which shall be some convenient place in the district when and where the legal voters in the township residing in such district shall assemble for the purpose of such election, and at which time and place such legal voters assembled, having been called to order by any legal voters of the district, shall proceed, viva voce, by the holding up of hands, or by count, to elect a moderator of such meeting by plurality of votes, and being so organized, the meeting shall proceed as in the election of moderator to elect an overseer of the highway for the district; the moderator of each district meeting shall, at their first meeting after such election, notify the township committee in writing of the election of such overseer; in case of the failure of any district to elect an overseer, or of the person so elected to accept of the appointment, the township
committee shall fill such vacancy. Notice to be 4. And be it enacted, That all subsequent district road given of district road meetings shall be called by the overseers of the respective
districts, upon notice posted up in some conspicuous place in such road district at least ten days from the time of holding such meeting, and all subsequent district road meetings shall be held on the Saturday preceding the annual town meeting, and should the overseer of any district fail to call such meeting, or the individual elected refuse to accept said appointment, or in case of a vacancy
arising from any other cause, the township committee shall fill such vacancy.
5. And be it enacted, That this act shall take effect immediately.
Approved March 8, 1859.
A FURTHER SUPPLEMENT to the act entitled “An act to incorporate the
Sussex and Warren Railroad Company," approved February twentyfirst, A. D. eighteen hundred and fifty-one.
1. BE IT ENACTED by the Senate and General Assembly of Company the State of New Jersey, That it shall and may be lawful for to connect
with other the Sussex and Warren Railroad Company to construct roads. their road to connect within either of the counties of Sussex or Warren, with any railroad in said counties; and the time for the completion of said road shall be computed from the commencement to construct the same, made January tenth, eighteen hundred and fifty-five, and shall be limited to ten years from said date.
2. And be it enacted, That the directors, or any of them, Directors to chosen by the stockholders of the said railroad company, scriptions to are authorized and empowered to receive, from time to stock. time, further subscriptions to the capital stock of said corporation, until the whole amount of the capital stock be subscribed.
five hundred thousand dollars, and shall be divided into shares of fifty dollars each, which shall be deemed personal property, and transferable in such manner as the said cor: poration shall by their by-laws direct.
3. And be it enacted, That the above named persons, or Commis: a majority of them, shall be commissioners to open books reerive -ehto receive subscriptions to the capital stock of said corpora. tion, at such time or times, and place or places, as they, or a majority of them, may think proper, giving at least twenty days' notice of the same in two of the newspapers published in this state; and at the time of subscribing ten per centum shall be paid for each share subscribed for, to the commissioners, or some one of them; and as soon as one hundred thousand dollars of the capital stock shall be subscribed, such commissioners shall give like notice for a meeting of the stockholders, to choose seven directors, a Election of majority of whom shall be residents and citizens of this state; and such election shall be made at the time and place appointed, by such of the stockholders as shall attend for that purpose, either in person or by proxy, each share of the capital stock entitling the holder thereof to one vote; and the said above named persons, or any three of them, shall be inspectors of the first election of directors of the said incorporation, and shall certify, under their hands, the names of those persons duly elected, and deliver over the subscription books and money paid in, deducting all expenses previously incurred, to the said directors; and the time and place of holding the first meeting of said directors shall be fixed by the said persons named in the first section of this act, or a majority of them; and the directors chosen at such meeting, or at the annual election of said corporation, shall, as soon as may be after every election, choose out of their own number a president, who shall be resident of this state; and in case of the death, resignation, or removal of the president or any director, such vacancy or vacancies may be filled for the remainder of the year in which they may happen, by the said board of directors, or a majority of them; and in case of the absence of the pre
not dissolved for failure to
Duties and powers of
sident, the said board of directors, or a majority of them, may appoint a president pro tempore, who shall have such power and functions as the by-laws of the said corporation
shall provide. Corporation 4. And be it enacted, That in case it shall happen that an
election of directors should not be made during the day Cleet ein day when, pursuant to this act, it ought to be made, the said
corporation shall not for that cause be deemed to be dissolved, but such election may be held at any other time, in the manner provided by law in such cases; and the directors for the time being shall continue to hold their office until others have been chosen in their places.
5. And be it enacted, That four directors of the said cordirectors.
poration shall be competent to transact all business of said corporation, and shall have power to call in the capital stock of said company, by such instalments, and at such times, as they may direct; and in case of the non-payment of said instalments, or any of them, to forfeit the share or shares upon which such default shall arise; and to make and prescribe such by.laws, rules, and regulations as to them shall appear needful and proper, touching the man. agement and regulation of the stock, property, estate, and effects of the said corporation, and also shall have power to appoint such officers, clerks, and servants as to them shall seem meet, and to establish and fix such salaries to them, and also to the president, as to the said board shall appear
proper. Company 6. And be it enacted, That the president and directors of to construct the said company be and they are hereby authorized and
invested with all the rights and powers necessary and expedient to survey, lay out, and construct a railroad from Millville, in the county of Cumberland, in this state, to
some point on the line of the Camden and Atlantic railroad, Proviso. at or near Winslow, in the county of Camden; provided
always, that it shall and may be lawful for the said company to make or construct the said railroad from and to the places aforesaid not exceeding one hundred feet in widtb, except in such places where from the depth of the excava