Palaeontology, a fundamental topic in geology and evolutionary biology, has undergone exciting and rapid change in recent years. Contemporary debates on mass extinctions and the origin of life have had profound implications for our understanding of how life evolved.
Basic Palaeontology is a comprehensive and accessible introduction to palaeontology. With in-depth analysis of basic principles and all the main fossil groups, this fully illustrated text presents new and exciting research on the origin and history of life. The text focuses on traditional topics such as marine invertebrate palaeontology and biostratigraphy, but also provides unique and unparalleled taxonomic coverage from microfossils to plants and vertebrates.
Key Features include:
- Covers important recent developments in macroevolution and mass extinctions
- A strong focus on a statistical and quantitative approach, emphasising the vital importance of both applications and theory
- Full coverage of the evolution of vertebrates and plants
- Over 600 highly detailed illustrations
- An accessible format with extensive boxed material and bullet points
Basic Palaeontology is essential reading for undergraduate students of geology, environmental science and biology, taking courses in palaeontology, palaeobiology, palaeoecology or evolution, and will also be of interest to all those who have an interest in the origin of life and human evolution.
Apa yang dikatakan orang - Tulis resensi
Palaeontology as a science
Fossils in time and space
10 bagian lainnya tidak diperlihatkan